On Sunday 12th March nearly 50 Springfit gymnasts travelled up to Warlingham to take part in our sister club’s, Pointers, Annual Tumbling Competition and nearly a third of them took home a medal!! The discipline of tumbling is a real pleasure to watch for proud parents and coaches as well as fellow competitors as gymnasts link impressive move after impressive move along a strip of floor matting.
The first half of the competition was jammed packed with Grade 1 and 3 gymnasts completing their 3 runs to the panel of judges. These more elementary levels had the gymnasts completing sequences compromised of forward and backward rolls, cartwheels and turning jumps. For many gymnasts this was their first competition and so they had not experienced the thrill of competition before but were buoyed by the friendly and welcoming nature of the well-organised afternoon in Warlingham.
Springfit gymnasts who took home medals in the first half were:
- Lily Owens Bronze (2009)
- Alexia Gibb Bronze (2010-2011)
- Harry Osbourne (Boys) Bronze – he missed Silver by only .06 point
- Eloise Murphy Gold, Carmen Bulger Silver, Sophie Day Bronze in the 2005-2008 category and only 0.3 points separated them.
- Joe Watkins Silver (2001-2006) and was only .06 off Gold followed by Lexi Kane with Bronze
- Amelia Telfer (2007-09) Bronze
In the most advanced category the judges had their work cut out, trying to distinguish between the quality of moves involving backflips, front somersaults and a highly difficult aerial ‘fly spring’.
Head Coach Helen Hutson Pope had this to say : “Our lovely Springfit Gymnasts enjoyed a challenging and fun tumbling competition this weekend against some of our sister clubs. We had some worthy medallists amongst a strong line-up, so a big well done to them! And as always the real winners were our wonderful children who showed great determination and sportsmanship, supported by the parents and families. It was a wonderful show of enthusiasm and appreciation for all the competitors.”
In the second half Springfit Gymnasts took home another 5 medals:
- Chloe Forward(2008-10 ) took Gold with Eloise Saunders taking Bronze
- Oilvia Geason-James (2006-07) took Silver and Geogrie Davis took Bronze
- Daniel Tarsitano – Silver
The tumbling competition is always a highly anticipated phase of the year, but Springfit gymnasts now have their sights set on the next of the tri-annual events, with acrobatics routines to practice in class ready for the competition in May.
The full set of results can be found here: Results.